PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES
- BROADBAND ADOPTION – Outreach in our Hope Booths located in supermarket stores reach 5 million multilingual residents. The project expects to increase household adoption of broadband in these high priority, low income communities by more than 133,000 households.
- HOMEBUYERS EDUCATION – Educated hundreds of potential home buyers in our partnership with the Latino churches in the greater LA area. Pre & Post counseling of home buyers up to present throughout California.
- DOWN PAYMENT ASSISTANCE – Down payment assistance promotes homeownership opportunities for low-to-moderate income families. Over 25 families have been assisted. The program provides up to $15,000.00 for each household to be used toward their home purchase. DPA decreases homebuyer’s cost and creates positive home equity.
- LOAN MODIFICATION – Clients that are struggling with their mortgage loans are able to speak to housing counselors about their hardship situation and come up with solutions to tap into available options to remain in the home or plan the best exit strategy.
- CREDIT RESTORATION (FINANCIAL LITERACY) – Our program includes learning the ability to effectively evaluate and manage one’s finances in order to make prudent decisions toward reaching life’s goals. In California, approximately 480 have been educated in the understanding of money, cash flow, basic financial concepts, debt/risk management.
- MICROLENDING – NAAC’s Microlending has facilitated the creation and the growth of businesses. It has generated self-employment and created jobs directly and indirectly, as 60% of borrowers were able to hire others. Business owners were able to improve their housing situation after their income improved due to business expansion facilitated by microloans, 70% indicating their sustainability has improved.
- SMALL BUSINESS TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE WORKSHOPS – Unique training for existing business owners and entrepreneurs, designed to dramatically grow business in real-time. Partnerships with Edison, EverFi and Google Fiber have resulted in high impact workshops & sessions online to assist business owners & other nonprofits.
- OWNING A PIECE OF AMERICA TV PROGRAM – Owning A Piece Of America, featuring Faith Bautista, empowers Southern California immigrant families by giving resources to the voiceless, and embracing the complexity and diversity of their heritage, one homeowner at a time, one business owner at a time, one person at a time. Each episodes features policymakers, corporate leaders, and profiles successful immigrants in SoCal, thereby informing, inspiring, and empowering our diverse neighborhoods. Owning A Piece Of America is broadcast on Spectrum News 1 in Southern California mid-month (Sundays at 9:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and the following Saturday at 4:30 p.m.) For more: Owning a Piece of America on Spectrum News 1
The National Asian American Coalition strives to help homeowners, small businesses, and the community. The NAAC has been a leader in helping homeowners fight foreclosures during the housing crisis and beyond. It helped secure principal and interest mortgage reductions, and gain greater corporate accountability. In the past year the NAAC has worked with a variety of regulators, lawmakers, and corporate leaders to push for continued reforms in these areas and to represent the interests of the growing Asian American and minority populations. The NAAC has continued to fight Governor Brown’s refusal to obey the court order that the NAAC won for the return of $331 million to homeowners in distress in California. Since the victory in court in 2015, the NAAC has worked to bring attention to the delay in receiving these funds and pushed publicly to get this funding back to the homeowners who need it.
NAAC has Hope Booths located in several Asian supermarkets in the Bay Area, Sacramento and Southern California to create cutting-edge consumer complaint centers that allow community members to have a direct line of communication to regulators. Thanks to strong relationships with leaders at regulatory agencies such as the FCC, FTC, SEC, CFPB, and many other agencies, the NAAC is in the unique position of providing constituents with an efficient way for their concerns to be heard.